- Insufficient staff are able to travel in and keep the Academy running safely (consideration would need to be given to the number of SLT, Qualified Teachers, Support Staff, and Qualified First Aiders that would be present on site).
- Conditions on site are considered too dangerous for the safety of anyone with a need to access the facility.
- Conditions are considered to be, or are anticipated to later become, too hazardous to travel.
- Essential services such as heating, lighting, catering etc. were unavailable.
If the Academy is to close, a decision will be made as early as possible – ideally by 7.00am. If the decision is taken to close the Academy, the Head of Support Services will: contact the Alpha Academies Trust Finance and Operations Director, who will in turn:
- Report the closure on Radio Stoke and Signal Radio as early as possible in the morning.
- Report the closure on the Local Authority online notification website. http://webapps.stoke.gov.uk/schoolclosures/public_view.aspx
- A closure notice will be posted on the Academy website (by 7:30am)
- Signs will be placed outside the Academy gates if possible
If there is a heavy snowfall during the Academy day, we will endeavour to keep the students on site until the end of the day and ask parent/carers to check the Academy website or radio stations, to find out if the Academy will be open the following day. The Academy will make all practicable efforts to keep parents informed as to opening during adverse weather conditions as early as possible, as we appreciate that such conditions and uncertainty places considerable difficulties upon parents. However parents are expected to check the website and/or make themselves aware of the radio broadcasts when it is clear that closure is a possibility. In event of snow, main pathways will be cleared and gritted in accordance with the Site Support Teams Bad Weather Procedure. This procedure highlights the areas that need to be gritted and kept clear, and indicates the sequence the operation should take place. When snow and severe frost is forecast the Site Support Team should endeavour to apply rock salt to the main routes on site before they leave for the evening. Goals Soccer Centre are responsible for all people using the outdoor sports facilities, the sports hall, and the access routes to these areas after 5.00pm on term time days. It is solely Goals’ decision as to whether they open the facility, and not that of the Academy or its staff.
Opening/Re-opening of the Site during Bad Weather
Staff, parents, students, and visitors should be made aware that pathways, even when cleared, do remain dangerous. Consideration may need to be given to the practicality of break and lunchtimes being operated in the normal way. If students do need to remain indoors, as well as making use of classrooms, use could be made of the Multi Use Hall and the Sports Hall within the Goals facility. It is likely that the curriculum teaching of PE could be affected during adverse weather conditions. Suitable alternative solutions would need to be agreed by the SLT in conjunction with the head of the PE Department. Throughout the Academy day the Site Support Team will be expected to continue to apply rock salt and clear pathways etc. to maintain and improve access around the site.